AZDA Headquarters housed in historic state building
By: Ernie Lugo, ESD
First state office building; helped decentralized state services in 1930. (Photo courtesy of: B. Mania, AZDA)
In 1928, during the administration of Governor George W. P. Hunt, the State of Arizona hired the nationally recognized architectural firm from Phoenix, Lescher and Mahoney to design this building and oversee its construction. It was completed in 1930 and was the first state office building to be separate from the nearby state Capitol.
The design is "Italian Renaissance Revival" and features decoratively cast stone elements, terra-cotta detailing and a large wooden cornice. Located at the corner of Adams Street and 17th Avenue, it is a beautiful component of our Capitol Mall District.
In the early 1990's, it was assigned as the headquarters of the Arizona Department of Agriculture. This is where we continue to proudly serve the people of the State of Arizona, and the Agriculture Industry.
We are grateful and proud to be the stewards of this great historic building, a true treasure of the people of Arizona.
To learn more about our Department and the services we offer, please visit: agriculture.az.gov.